Thursday, November 19, 2009

clean


OK, at this point, all I really want is a shower! I looked in the mirror yesterday thinking that shower cap shampoo/conditioner no rinse thing from the hospital worked. WRONG! It was gross. Right then and there I washed my hair in the tiny bathroom sink. Not very thorough mind you, but better. Now my hair is a curly, Carrot Top mess, but at least it's partially clean.


I've been doing the sponge baths, but my skin is really dry and mad at me. Just really want a shower and a shave. Damn. I have an opportunity to go see some girlfriends on Saturday. Extremely low key, just at her apartment, but since a shower will not happen before that, I'll probably have to pass. That and the fact that my drains will have to tag along. My first meal comes from my boss' wife. Very sweet, but why oh why couldn't it be after my shower! I guess my countdown has turned to drain removal/shower time. I'm even embarassed to see my plastic surgeon to get the drains out. Silly I guess, seeing as he's a Doctor and all but this whole process just makes me uncomfortable, on every front.


On a weird note, I was walking to the mailbox (dr's orders) and an acquaintance runs by. I see her about the neighborhood and we chat about running and racing a lot. She notices my speed (well, lack of) and careful steps and slows to ask if I'm ok. I smile and say "Yea, I just had a mastectomy". She smiles and says "Oh, so no more kids, huh?" I didn't have the strength to explain mastectomy to her. Then I start wondering what she thought I could have said. Hystorectomy? Still nothing to smile about and pretty drastic for birth control. Vastectomy? No, that's for the men. Huh. Oh well. I just said "No, 2 is plenty" and waited for her to commence running.


I've cleaned and decluttered probably too much but my family has the notion of getting Christmas decorations out. Fine by me, but the control freak in me is freaking out. First of all, I have a rule. House must be spotless before Christmas goes up. Just makes no sense to put things up when dust is present. Secondly, since I can't really help, not sure that what I dictate will actually happen, as far as where things go. Oh well. So, that's my cleaning story. My mother in law has been amazing and helped a lot this morning trying to get things ready room by room. I have a professional cleaner coming December 1st (thank you E!) to try and put back together whatever happened while I've been laid up. What a great way to start the putting back together of Beth's life.


Going to watch some TV with my little one. Gotta rest you know :)

2 comments:

  1. Love your story about the other runner. Made Ken ask me why I was laughing. The world goes on despite our dramas. . . and there are so many people who have no idea. It's oddly comforting and makes my plight seem less significant for some reason. Like standing by an ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud too at the woman not understanding "mastectomy". I love how you didn't have the energy to explain it. I so get that.
    And what's this I read about you cleaning and decluttering!?!??!
    Don't make me come over there.

    XO

    ReplyDelete